Monday, June 26, 2017

Nina's Observations, Entry 12 - Alexia Moore

Journal Entry 47

I expected to have heard from Master by now. It’s been over a month since he left for Starfall City. It is a long journey, to be sure, but surely he’s arrived there by now.

I suppose I can only wait and hope he is alright.

Raven has been wandering around the Tower again. She keeps turning up at night, even though her home is almost an hour’s trek on foot from the Tower. As a result, she keeps setting off my wards. She has yet to find a way in; the spells on the Tower hide the lower windows from sight, and the door is magically sealed. She is determined, though; I do not know how much longer I can avoid her.

I’ve been keeping an eye on Jenna when I can. The markings on her arms haven’t grown stronger yet, but her magic is definitely beginning to show - fortunately, it continues to be the little things, things that the untrained eye would brush off as luck, rather than magic. I wonder if she is aware of her magic yet.

I continue to feel on edge in town, aware that someone is following me. I caught a glimpse of someone I think might be my follower, ducking behind a building as I walked through town yesterday. I didn’t really get a good look at them, though; they were dressed like any other townsperson, and they moved too quickly.


Villager Observation 12 - Alexia Moore

I have realised that I have done entries on all the workers at the Hog and Heifer, except for Alexia. I decided to correct this, but to do so, I had to go to the Hog and Heifer in the evening, when all the rowdy locals are there.

Alexia is the kind of person that doesn’t take anyone’s nonsense. If someone does something they shouldn’t - the most common of which is drunks getting a little too someone who is obviously unwanting of the attention - then she does something about it. Whether it means getting Jackson Hill to remove the offender, or doing it herself.

She’s a terrifying woman when she has to do it herself. I suddenly understand why she is willing to work in the evenings, instead of making the Fairwood sisters do it. Drunks cower under her glare, and yelp and wail in pain when she drags them out the door by their ear - she keeps her fingernails long and sharp for this exact reason.


Alexia is a little strict, and she has Opinions about magic users, but for the most part, I’ve found that she’s pretty nice. She doesn’t bother or harass any of the magic-users that come through town from time to time - she just treats them like any other customer. She’ll make her Opinions known if asked, of course, but she doesn’t go shouting them for all the room to hear.

The strictness, I think, comes from both her dealing with drunks all evening, and dealing with her husband, grown-up sons, their wives, and her grandchildren all day. From the way I understand it, she could not get through her days if she wasn’t strict with her family and the drunks. They’re all just too rowdy.

I’ve learned that she’s also protective of the Fairwood sisters. They’re at the age where people start to really notice them, which is why she doesn’t let them take the evening shifts. There are too many grabby hands looking for a skirt to slid up for her to be comfortable with them working in such a drunken, crowded environment. While I’m sure Alexia would happily deal with any problem the girls might face, she has other things to be doing, and can’t spend all evening keeping one eye on the two.

I’m not sure I’d feel comfortable with Alexia knowing that I’m a mage, but I don’t mind interacting with her. She’s nice enough when she’s not looking like she wants to bash the loud-mouthed drunk at the next table over the head with a plate.

No comments: