Monday, June 5, 2017

Nina's Observations, Entry 9 - Jenna Arrow

Journal Entry 35

For the first time, I dared to enter Willowdale. I did my best to look as normal as possible - no robes, no magical equipment of any kind. While Serah Gordon and her staff don’t seem to mind robed strangers amongst them, I believe the general populace would.

I won’t lie - it took a while to find some clothes in my Master’s Tower that could almost pass for normal, but I finally discovered a chest, stored in the attic, containing some simple clothing.

I had to borrow a pair of my Master’s gloves, though. My robes have long sleeves, so they cover my arms, so I've never had to worry since Master took me in, but the dress I pulled from the chest has shorter sleeves. It covers some, but not all of, the magic lines on my arms.

For the most part, no one seemed to bothered by my presence. Most didn’t even seem to notice me. Nor did anyone seem to care about the direction I came from. I almost considered myself silly for letting my fears get to me.

But it didn’t take long for me to notice I was being followed. I couldn’t pick out my followers from the crowd, but I knew they were there. I could feel their eyes on me. I could sense them.

I was intending on cutting my visit to town short - I’d come for food supplies, but I had enough to last me a little while longer - when I passed the Courtyard.

The Courtyard is a walled off garden, attached to one of the bigger buildings in town. I’m not entirely sure what the building is - I think it might be the Town Hall. It is surrounded by reasonably high walls, with an archway with an iron gate. During the day, the gate is unlocked and open, and the children spend their free time playing in there. Master mentioned the place to me when I asked about where the children went during the day when they had free time since I hadn’t seen any of the children out in the forest or fields around town.

I decided to stop in the Courtyard. A couple of the children gave me odd looks as I settled beneath a tree, but I was not the only adult there, and they eventually forgot about me. The uncomfortable feeling of being watched went away as soon as I was in there.

I intend to head to the Hog and Heifer this evening, and then head back to the Tower through the forest. I might be able to avoid whoever is following me, that way.

Villager Observation 9: Jenna Arrow

While I was sitting in the Courtyard, I noticed Jenna Arrow was amongst the children playing there, as was her brother. I’ve been meaning to observe them a little more since it was difficult to get an idea of the kinds of people they are when they’re only at home when they have to be.

Scott is a bit of a brat, I’ve noticed. He has a bit of a sense of entitlement, and as a result, a lot of the children seem hesitant to play with him, because he can get demanding. Jenna seems embarrassed by his attitude, but when she tries to calm him down when he’s starting to work himself up into a tantrum, he just pushes her away. I pity Jenna for having to put up with that, but I’m glad I don’t have any younger siblings - none that I know about, anyway.

Jenna herself caught my attention some time ago. I already knew there was something different about her, from my brief observations, but a closer look at her while I write in my journal confirmed what I’d already suspected.

There are lines on her arms, lines of magic. Just like the ones that decorate my arms.

They are faint, barely noticeable, but I can see them. Probably better than others. I can’t distinguish the pattern since they seem to only just be starting to appear. She is a lot older than I was when my magic began to show, but I suppose everyone is different.

She is definitely not aware of them yet. I assume she thinks that the little things - the things that I noticed, that caught my attention is the first place - were caused by luck or chance. I wouldn’t blame her if she did. That was what I thought when my magic first started appearing.

I shall be keeping a closer eye on things around Jenna. I do not know how her family will react to her having magic, and I know that as it grows stronger, and becomes more obvious, things will change for her. I would have given anything to have had someone watching out for me when my magic started appearing; I do not wish another to suffer anything like the fate I suffered for having magic.


Not when I am around to prevent it.

No comments: